Senior Product Engineer - Bituminous Portfolio
Who We Are
Johns Manville is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial roofing, along with glass fibers and nonwovens for commercial, industrial and residential applications. Our products are used in a wide variety of industries including building products, aerospace, automotive and transportation, filtration, commercial interiors, waterproofing and wind energy.
A proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, we serve customers in more than 80 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering positive and powerful experiences, because we are successful only when our employees and customers thrive. We are passionate, we care about people, we perform at a superior level, and we protect others and our environments.
Pay Range$87,800.00-$120,700.00 Annual
This is the base salary pay range that an applicant can expect to make upon hire. Pay within this range will vary based upon relevant experience, skills, and education among other factors. In addition, this position is eligible for an incentive bonus.
At Johns Manville we're dedicated to innovation and excellence within the Roofing Systems business unit. We're on the lookout for a Senior Product Engineer to lead the charge in developing cutting-edge products and elevating our current offerings. Join us in this technical role aimed at impacting sales growth and maintaining our competitive edge. The Senior Product Engineer will be responsible for leading projects, conducting research, designing and running pilot/plant trials, developing intellectual property, and providing strategic technical direction for the Bituminous product line.
- Provide core product engineering support for the Bituminous product line
- Lead and manage projects resulting in significant business advantage for JM Roofing Systems
- Provide strategic technical direction for major programs both product and equipment related
- Develop sharp product definitions for potential new developments that will lead to solutions that provide value to our customers
- Develop patents, trade secrets and/or other intellectual property that provides a strategic business advantage
- Actively participate in laboratory bench work and product trials
- Keep informed of competitors' product actions, performance, and improvements through product testing to maintain and improve on competitive advantage in the market
- Maintain finished product specifications and support plant quality to ensure product performance meets industry standards by performing complex experiments to link product requirements to manufacturing capabilities to customer expectations
- Pursue excellence in staged product development and organized project management in the RS Innovation & Commercialization Group
- May be required to perform other related duties as assigned
What You Bring to the Team:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of process/product engineering work experience
- Proven ability to partner with business teams and develop technical strategies
- Ability to translate complex technical needs into robust products
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently with strong project management skills
- Strong technical skills in data gathering, statistical and engineering analysis and evaluation
- Ability and willingness to work hands-on to solve equipment and mechanical issues
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to interface at all levels of the organization, both internally and externally
- Proven analytical and quality improvement ability
- Ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams
- Ability and willingness to work in a production environment during trials
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Work environment is typical of a research and development facility; when running pilot/plant trails may be exposed to environmental conditions of cold, heat, high noise levels, moving mechanical parts, heights, dust/mist/gas/fumes, extensive walking or climbing, etc.
- Travel required is project dependent up to 25-50%.
- May be required to lift, carry, push or pull up to and including 50 pounds
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Materials Science preferred
- Manufacturing equipment and product scale up experience preferred
- Previous experience in formulation of asphalt roofing membranes preferred
- Supervises/Leads individuals or a project team to achieve milestones and objectives by setting priorities and providing direction. May provide feedback for performance evaluations.
Please Keep in Mind
If you do not meet 100% of these requirements, we at JM still want to hear from you. So, if you are interested in the role, we encourage you to apply so we can learn how your skills and talents can contribute to our team.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and also provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts; health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Diversity & Inclusion
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company and our communities. Our D&I council is composed of employees from locations across North American & Europe who meet regularly and work to promote and foster an environment of inclusion. Born from our D&I council is our network of employee resource groups (ERGs) that are focused on supporting diverse communities in the workplace. Review more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives on JM’s Career page.
Incumbent must be physically able to perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.